The free 6-week workshop Live Well, Be Well is being offered by the Healthy Southern Illinois Delta Network in Carbondale starting today and running through mid-December. Here's why area residents should take advantage of this opportunity.
The Live Well, Be Well was developed to help those with chronic health conditions make positive changes for a better quality of life.
The tagline for the Live Well, Be Well workshop offered by HSIDN is "Take charge of your health" , and the goal is to help you do just that. Some of the topics covered during the workshop include:
- Building a more effective relationship with your doctor
- Developing an exercise routine
- Communicating with friends and family about your condition
- Healthy eating that helps you feel better
- Managing and keeping track of your medications
- Setting and achieving your goals
- Dealing with negative emotions such as pain, frustration, isolation, and lack of energy
Developed at Stanford University, the workshop has been shown to have benefits for participants.
Some of these benefits include:
- Less days spent in the hospital
- Less emergency room visits
- Feeling more in control of your life
- Increased energy levels
- Significantly improved overall health
Who should attend?
Anyone with a chronic health condition or who is a caregiver to someone with a chronic health condition will benefit from the topics and exercises discussed as part of this workshop. Some specific chronic health conditions that the workshop can help with include:
- Heart disease
- Lung disease
- Parkinson's disease
However, the topics that will be discussed in this workshop are useful to anyone with any chronic condition. As a Southern Illinois Social Security Disability attorney who assists many people who have chronic health conditions, I highly recommend area residents make use of this valuable free resource.
First United Methodist Church
214 W. Main Street
Carbondale, IL 62901
Dates and times:
Thursdays, November 3rd through December 15th, 2016
1:00 - 3:30 PM
For more information, call the SIH Call Center at 866-744-2468 or go to hsidn.org/calendar.
Joni Beth Bailey is a Southern Illinois Social Security Disability representative.